Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Time for Bed

Not sure what to title this post yet, so I'll wait until I'm done writing. As I was looking through my Bloglines.com I came across this post from Connect With Kids entitled 'No Sleep After Gaming'. Basically, studies are showing that teens who spend two to three hours watching tv, playing video/computer games, or playing music will find it more difficult to fall asleep. I thought this article was timely for me since I tend to spend a lot of time on the computer after dinner, though I have to say I don't seem to be having any trouble falling asleep! LOL The article went on to provide the following tips for parents:


Studies in children have shown that playing interactive video games can lead to significant increases in heart rate, blood pressure and respiratory rate, "and thus a higher arousal state of the central nervous system.” (National Institutes of Health, NIH)


A new study shows that the bright light of a screen may alter the body's biological clock and suppress the natural production of melatonin that's critical to the normal sleep-wake cycle. (WebMD)


In the hour before bedtime, which experts say should be a time to relax and prepare for sleep, the majority of adolescents watch TV or surf the Internet. (National Sleep Foundation)


Sleep requirements: (National Sleep Foundation)
18 months to 3 years should get 12 to14 hours/night
3 to 5 years should get 11 to13 hours/night
5 to12 years old should get 10 to11 hours/night
Teens should get 9.25 hours/night


Create a bedtime routine. Bedtime routines are important, regardless of a child's age. It should include at least 15 to 30 minutes of calm, soothing activities. Discourage television, exercise, computer and telephone use, and avoid caffeine (found in many beverages, chocolate and other products). (National Sleep Foundation)

No comments: